The roots of American Horse Racing are traced back to Prince George’s County. As early as 1745, Thoroughbred racing meets were held in the spring and fall at Marlboro Racetrack. According to his diary, George Washington was among those to enjoy the races at “The Marlborough Racetrack”. The last set of horse races was held in 1993 and this training gate is a reminder of the rich racing history of the Marlboro Racetrack. With the help of The Maryland Horse Industry Board, the training gate has been restored and will serve as a reminder of our rich racing industry at The Prince George’s Equestrian Center.
Images of the newly restored historical training/starting gate at Show Place Arena
Historical images and flyers of the Marlboro Race Track at The Show Place Arena